This is an important question. These six considerations can help:
- You can’t be everything to everyone, and that is okay.
2. Sometimes you will be recognized for your work. Sometimes no one will notice. Surround yourself with like-minded people — people who have your back and respect what you do.
3. Take time away. Say no. Know what you need to do your work and remain focused on creating art.
4. “Straight As” are overrated. Show up, earn that “C,” and be on your way. This is perfectly acceptable.
5. Cultivate a toolkit of music, art, dance, sports, writing, meditation, yoga, cooking, and friends. Regularly return to what brings you joy.
6. Remember: Take care of yourself. The world needs you.