If something keeps getting in your way when you sit down to write, you’re not alone. These moments happen (often), and it’s part of the work to know what you can do to show up anyway. It doesn’t matter how you crawl out of a non-writing writing hole, but the important thing is that you do. You can. And you will.
Here’s a list of 10 ways you can help yourself out of any writing rut:
- Write for one. Stop thinking about an entire audience. Write for one person. Think about what they want to hear, what they are excited to read about, what they need to succeed.
- Test something. Observe your blogs, social media content, and emails. Which stories fail? Which aspects get results? Use a variety of writing tactics and watch what lands.
- Show up. Instead of striving for “A” work, let yourself pass with a “C.” It doesn’t need to be pretty or good; sometimes the best work evolves from something subpar.
- Get personal. Let your feelings and emotions guide you. Follow whatever threads of excitement and curiosity you can muster.
- Choose a lane. And stick to it. Seth’s Lifeguard Hack is helpful.
- Just go. Push forward, regardless. Set a timer for ten minutes and write. You can leave when the alarm goes off.
- Distract yourself. Write something else. Not the thing you’re wanting to write, something else entirely. Play with lists and incoherent phrases. Write a story. Get creative then come back to the task at hand.
- You good? You good. Remind yourself how fabulous you are. Write down all of the things you know you do well, projects you’re proud of, accomplishments, battles you’ve fought through, and goals you’ve reached.
- Say no. Saying no to things that zap your energy and impact your boundaries will create more energetic space. Say no to tasks that take you away from writing.
- Create structure. Using your calendar in a purposeful way can help you feel more empowered and focused so you can get work done. Structure your day into manageable chunks, or dedicate a specific day of the week for particular tasks.
Creating movement in one area can unlock momentum in another. What tricks do you use to get unstuck? Tweet me @redheadlefthand.